Franchise Sales Process: Consistent or Flavor-of-the-Month?
Occasionally, I take a look at some of my posts from a few years back just to compare my thoughts and perspective from then to now. I always ask myself if I’m consistent so as not to confuse anyone. But more importantly, am I focused for the long-term or for just the here-and-now. Well, below is a post from June 2009. I’m sure you’ll agree that I have been consistent and have not jumped on any flavor-of-the-day bandwagon… It really is about fundamentals and best-practices!
Franchise Sales During the Recession
Recently, in one of the franchise groups on LinkedIn, there was some discussion about the Wall Street Journal article, “Franchise Sales Pull Back During the Recession.” Several franchise professionals posted their comments and, of course, I added my “two cents” as well. Okay, I was definitely long-winded compared to the others, but as most of you who read my articles are well aware, I have a passion for franchising and franchise success and tend to go on and on to share the same with all who will “listen.”
“I too, believe there are many well-qualified candidates exploring franchising. Some as a career alternative, and also, in the case of already being a small business owner, as a business expansion strategy and/or an income diversification plan.
No doubt, the number of overall franchise leads has diminished quite a bit. But I believe many of the “tire kickers” have gone by the wayside while the more qualified candidates continue to search, inquire and ultimately decide franchising is right for them to achieve their goals and objectives. However, in order to fully realize this trend, one must realize that the candidates’ approach has evolved.
Today’s qualified franchise candidate is more sophisticated, educated and technologically advanced than we have ever seen before. Add to the mix, a sense of extreme caution, and their process in exploring franchising and specific franchise opportunities has become more of a detailed, well-thought out strategy.
Always understanding that there is risk in any entrepreneurial endeavor, today’s candidates explore franchising because it may provide even the slightest edge against failure. Their mantra has become, “failure is not an option” and they now live it by doing everything humanly possible to dot every “i” and cross every “t” and then rechecking only to do it over and over again until they have full, complete confidence in their decision.
To that end, the overall process from initial inquiry to franchise award is much longer than in years’ past and that is something franchisors must be prepared to effectively handle. It’s a primary reason I believe social media works so well in the new era of franchise sales as it creates an environment for today’s candidates to research organizations, share information, communicate with individuals at all levels of the franchise organization from franchisees to corporate executives, view photos, audio and video, etc. And, they can do so at their own pace and to their full understanding. That is the key.
Understanding and adapting to today’s qualified franchise candidate will help franchisors ride out this current economic downturn. Putting their heads in the sand and just complaining about the poor economy and the franchise candidate pool drying up will only incorrectly prove true that their negative thoughts are correct.
All that being said, certainly there are challenges in securing financing and other variables that must be contended with and addressed accordingly. But as the franchise candidate pool diminishes and many of the tire kickers aren’t around to waste our time, we should now have more time to explore all options, use our creativity and innovation, network beyond our comfort zones and seek out alternative solutions. I believe those solutions are out there and many are capitalizing on them as we speak. They will not only survive, they will thrive as others have done in other recessionary periods.”
- Technology - The Cornerstone of Franchise Success - Apr 24,2014
- Franchise Today: Brian Spindel, President, COO and co-founder of PostNet - Apr 17,2014
- Franchising is All About Relationships - REPLAY - Oct 31,2013
- Helping to create the American Dream... day after day! - Oct 24,2013
- Let's Talk Entrepreneurship (REBROADCAST) - Oct 17,2013
- Fast Times at Franchise High! - Oct 10,2013
- Let's Talk Entrepreneurship - Oct 03,2013
- Driving Franchise Growth REPLAY - Sep 26,2013
- Political Action - A Franchisor's Perspective - Sep 19,2013
- IFA Experts Talk About Public Affairs - Sep 12,2013
- Integrated Franchise Marketing & Development
- So, you want to do business with franchise companies…
- Social Media ROI Revisited at Franchise Expo South
- Defining Franchise Success
- Franchise Sales Process: Consistent or Flavor-of-the-Month?
- Are You Confused by Franchise Terminology?
- CEOs & Social Media – There’s Still a Disconnect for Some
- A Look Back at IFA Conventions – Many Fond Memories Shared!
- Success… It Starts and Grows with a Vision
- Controlled Growth Key to Success for New Franchise Concepts!
- Change or Failure – Which is Worse?
- Franchise Candidates: A Changed Mindset
- True Social Media ROI – Relationship & Community Building
- What Happened To Our Dreams And Goals?
- Technology As The New Norm – Are We There Yet?